otology n : the branch of medicine concerned with the ear [syn: otolaryngology]
the branch of medicine that deals with the ear
Otology is a branch of biomedicine which studies normal and pathological anatomy and physiology of the ear (hearing and vestibular sensory systems and related structures and functions) as well as its diseases, diagnosis and treatment.
Some of the concerns of otology include:
- Identifying the underlying mechanisms of Ménière's disease
- Finding the causes of tinnitus and developing treatment methods.
- Defining the development and progression of otitis media.
- Studying signal processing in the cochlear implant patient.
- Investigating postural control areas and vestibulo-ocular mechanisms
otology in Danish: Otologi
otology in French: Otologie
otology in Portuguese: Otologia
otology in Swedish: Otologi